There are plenty of stories to report about the Mets this morning from Port St. Lucie. They played their first intra-squad game yesterday with Jerry Manuel watching carefully from behind the shortstop position.
Onto the Mets in the news:
- Ryan Church talked to the media about Manuel telling the media that Fernando Tatis will see time in right field. Manuel said he didn’t care about the players reaction to his comments. He’s trying to put the team in the best position to win.
- The Mets are likely to announce a player development agreement with the Mexico City Red Devils of the Mexican League. That’s the team that Ricardo Rincon played for last season.
- Joel Sherman of the Post writes about Johan Santana mentoring Oliver Perez and Ryan Church downplaying talk of a right field platoon. This is a good, short read.
- David Lennon of Newsday writes about Fernando Tatis’ aching palm and Ryan Church receiving an “I (heart) New York” t-shirt.
- Ben Shipgel of the NY Times does a tremendous profile of new third base coach Razor Shines.
- Ryan Fagan of The Sporting News does his 2009 Mets preview. He predicts a wild card berth for the Mets.